Date

Re: More embedded representation on the LF TAB (Vote for Frank!)

Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...>

Hi Tim,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:40 AM Tim Bird <tim.bird@...> wrote:
I just wanted to remind people about Linux Plumbers conference, and
the upcoming election of 5 members to the Linux Foundation
Technical Advisory Board.

I hope people take the opportunity to join Plumbers this year.
With it being virtual, more people than ever will be able to participate.
And this is an interesting and valuable conference.
For registration, follow the links from this page:
https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/page/47-attend

If you attend, please consider voting for my friend and colleague
Note that you do not have to attend LPC to vote. However, the deadline
for non-attenders to request a ballot was August 17.

https://lore.kernel.org/ksummit-discuss/ade3420c-89fd-bed0-52e3-a0396eaeda2d@labbott.name/

Frank Rowand, for him to join the TAB. Frank's self-nomination
can be found on the tech-board-discuss list here:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/tech-board-discuss/2020-August/000561.html

I think Frank would make a great addition to the TAB, and represent
and under-served Linux developer constituency.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention (Frank's self-nomination wasn't
CCed to ksummit-discuss, so I hadn't seen it), and thanks to Frank for
standing up!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@...

-- Linus Torvalds

Re: [Feedback] Categorizing Videos and presentations of ELC, ELCE, and Japan Technical Jamboree

scott preece

MPPWG was the Mobile Phone Profile Working Group, which I led in an ill-fated effort to define an open API for phones built on Linux, back before Android swept the field. We did have talks at a couple ELCs.

-- Scott

On Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 4:47 PM, Tim Bird <tim.bird@...> wrote:

Please find below my feedback on the proposed category list

> [...]

Overall - Is each item below intended to be a standalone page, or
is the intent that sub-topics will be sections within a top-level page?

Some of the sub-topics (e.g. RealTime) really are big enough to have
their own top-level page (or even several pages).

Maybe this will depend on the number of talks that end up on a page?

> Here is the proposed category list:
> * Linux General
> ** Status Check
I'm not sure what "Status Check" is - can you give an example talk in this category,
or describe it more?

> ** Upstreaming
> ** Community
> ** Development process
Maybe add "Legal" here?

> ** LTSI
LTSI might go better under "distributions"?, but I'm not sure.

> * [[Buildsystems]]
> ** Yocto
> ** Buildroot
> ** Bitbake
There are lots more: OpenWRT, Embedded Debian, Debos, etc.
How would you categorize ELBE, which builds binary distributions from Debian?
Would it go on this page?

> * Scheduler
I'm not sure I see scheduler as a top-level page.  I'm not sure how many
scheduler talks we've had.  Power-management scheduling was a big
topic for a while (e.g. big.LITTLE), but maybe going back farther there
were lots of talks when the O(1) scheduler was introduced.

> ** Real Time
RealTime is big enough to deserve it's own top-level page.
Likely, Scheduler is not big enough to deserve it's own top-level page.
In fact, RealTime might deserve two pages: one for PREEMPT_RT
and the other for dual-kernel approaches (e.g. Xenomai)

> ** Interrupt latency
> ** Optimizations
> * Boot Loaders
> ** U-Boot
Also BareBox

> * Boot Time
> ** Initialization
> ** Boot Time optimization
> * Device Drivers
> ** How to write a device driver?
> ** User Space Device Drivers, Optimizations
> ** UIO
> * Size
> ** Kernel Size – Reduction
> ** Source code
I'm not sure what the "Source code" category is here.

> * File Systems

Does "IO scheduling" go here?

> * Flash Storage
> ** NAND Flash
> ** eMMC
> * Networking
> ** Ethernet
> ** Wi-Fi
> ** BlueTooth
> ** X-Ref – IoT relevant topics here (see below)
> * Security
> ** SELinux
Security divides into multiple categories.  There are mandatory access control
systems, like SELinux, AppArmor, Smack, Tomoyo.  And then there are different
aspects of security like:
** Secure Boot
** Cryptography
** Trusted stores (TPM)
** Hardening

> * Upgrades
> ** OTA updates
> ** Firmware upgrades
> * Legal
OK - maybe this should be a standalone page, but it's kind of in the
non-technical category of pages.
> * Multimedia
> ** Audio
> ** Video
> ** Codecs
> ** GStreamer
> ** V4L2  (X-Ref with V4L2 kernel sub-system)
> * Architecture
> ** ARM
> ** RISC-V
> ** PowerPC
We need Intel or x86 as well (and maybe mips)
> * Compilers
> ** GCC, GLIBC
** LLVM/Clang
> ** Linkers, Loaders
> ** Compiler Optimizations
> * Device Tree
> * Kernel sub-systems
> ** I2C
> ** SPI
> ** USB
> ** Video4linux (V4L2)
> ** MIPI-DSI
> ** GPIO
> ** MTD
> * Scheduling
Don't we already have Scheduling above?

> * Memory Management
> ** Virtual Memory
> ** Process Memory
> ** TLB
> * Power Management
> * SMP
> ** Multi-core
> ** Concurrency, Locks
> * Testing
> ** Automation
> ** Fuego
I would put Fuego underneath a sub-category of
** Test Frameworks
*** Fuego, KernelCI, Kselftest,

I would add:
** Board farms and infrastructure
> * Embedded
> ** MPPWG
Not sure what "MPPWG" is.

> ** Digital STB
> ** Linux enabled Light bulbs,
> * Porting
> * Tools and Debugging
> ** GDB
> ** KGDB
> ** JTAG
> ** Tracing -- LTTng
Add ftrace here.
> * Distributions
> ** Tomoyo
I thought Tomoyo was a security system, not a distro, but I could be wrong.

> ** Android
> ** OpenWRT
> ** OpenHardware
> ** uCLinux
> * Virtualization
> ** QEMU
> ** Xen
> * Robotics
> ** Drones
I'm not sure
> * Miscellaneous
> ** FOSS
Legal could also go here?

> * Applications
This category seems to be "Development Tools", not applications.

> ** SDK
> ** Qt Development Framework
> ** Web development, API development
> ** HTTP
> ** Maemo Platform – from Nokia
> ** Eclipse IDE – Open Development Platform
> * Graphics
> ** OpenGL
> ** DigitalFB
> * Application Protocols
I think I'd stick these under "networking", but some are higher-level protocols.

> ** UPnP
> ** Protocols like  UDP/TCP/IP/HTTP/SOAP/SSDP/XML/GENA/SCPD, SIP, IM, XMPP
> * Open Source Projects
I don't think that "Open Source Projects" is a good category for these sub-topics:

> ** Zephyr
We should probably have a "non-Linux RTOS" page.  I think there have been several
different talks over the years for non-Linux OSes (NuttX, Zephyr, Free RTOS, etc.)

> ** BeagleBone Board
> ** Dragon Board
> ** Nine-Dollar Computer CHIP,
We should have a "Hardware" category for these board-specific talks.

> Good to have different page for following topics with links provided from the Main Page
>
> VERTICALS
>
> * Automotive
> ** V2X
> ** AGL
> ** Xen
> * IoT
> ** IIoT - Embedded Linux in Industrial IoT
> ** Embedded Protocols – MQTT, 6lowpan
These should be under networking

> ** Stream Processing for IoT
> ** Home Automation Tools
I think I'd put "Home Automation" as it's own topic (not under IoT)

maybe also add "Embedded Industrial Systems" as a topic?

> ** X-Ref selected topics/presentations with Networking Category (See above)
> * Defense Systems

I'd put Robotics and Drones under verticals.

-- Tim

Re: [Feedback] Categorizing Videos and presentations of ELC, ELCE, and Japan Technical Jamboree

Rob Landley

On 8/19/20 5:36 PM, Bird, Tim wrote:
I don't know if anybody downloaded my 2015 toybox talk, I can't find that one
locally...
BTW - do you have a copy of your presentation from that year? The link on the
presentations page is missing a file.
-- Tim
I usually youtube-dl an archive copy, but haven't got it on any current machine
and haven't hunted through the old disk pile.

Rob

More embedded representation on the LF TAB (Vote for Frank!)

Tim Bird

Hello embedded-interested people,

I just wanted to remind people about Linux Plumbers conference, and
the upcoming election of 5 members to the Linux Foundation
Technical Advisory Board.

I hope people take the opportunity to join Plumbers this year.
With it being virtual, more people than ever will be able to participate.
And this is an interesting and valuable conference.
For registration, follow the links from this page:
https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/page/47-attend

If you attend, please consider voting for my friend and colleague
Frank Rowand, for him to join the TAB. Frank's self-nomination
can be found on the tech-board-discuss list here:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/tech-board-discuss/2020-August/000561.html

I think Frank would make a great addition to the TAB, and represent
and under-served Linux developer constituency.

Regards,
-- Tim