On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:36:15AM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Rowand, Frank
In recent years there have been proposed tools to aid in the creation of validA few things on my list:
device trees and in debugging device tree issues. An example of this is the
various approaches proposed (with source code provided) to validate device tree
source against valid bindings. As of today, device tree related tools,
techniques, and debugging infrastructure have not progressed very far. I have
submitted a device tree related proposal for the Linux Plumbers 2015 conference
to spur action and innovation in such tools, techniques, and debugging
The current title of the track is "Device Tree Tools, Validation, and
Troubleshooting". The proposal is located at
I am looking for several things at the moment:
1) Suggestions of additional topics to be discussed.
- Supported and not supported overlay usecases
- Tools for overlays - I think overlays has created new challenges in
validation and a need for new tools. How to test an overlay applies?
Generating a dtb from dts + overlay dts. Generating an overlay from a
diff of old and new dts (overlay as a way to update old dtbs)
- Shrinking the binding review fire hose. How to improve binding
documentation structure and review.
- Standardizing Android dtb handling. Appended DTB for arm64? Not
liked by upstream, but already in use.
- Clean up of existing hardware-specific bindings to conform to the
generic bindings, working dts files in the kernel tree, and bring
consistency to the documentation style/syntax.
2) Emails or other messages expressing an interest in attending theI plan to attend. I'm probably attending some of the Android mini conf
device tree track.
3) Commitments to attend the device tree track (the conference committee
is looking at attendee interest and commitments as part of the process
of accepting the device tree track).
too, so I'll have to split my time.
4) Identifying additional people who should attend the device tree track.Arnd Bergmann
I also plan to attend. I have an interest in most of the topics already
mentioned as well as the topic I added above.