[Celinux-dev] [Q] TinyLinux project status (resend)

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Wed Apr 25 03:31:19 UTC 2012

On 04/25/2012 07:33 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 04/24/2012 02:35 PM, Ezequiel GarcÝa wrote:
>>> Linux in under 2 megabytes of RAM, even when running from ROM, is not a
>>> realistic goal. For context: linux 0.0.1 was developed on a 4 megabyte
>>> system in 1991. Swap support was added in december of that year so it
>>> could run on a 2 megabyte system.
>>>

>> After some research I came to the same conclusion. I guess I was on
>> drugs when I tought that,
>> since even a kernel compiled with almost nothing (not even BUG
>> support) weights ~1.5 MB.
>
> I do note that this is inexcusable.  The kernel _DID_ once run in 2
> megabytes of ram, and 4 should still be a realistic goal for a tiny
> linux project of the busybox/toybox plus uClibc userspace kind.
> (Admittedly the last 4 meg linux system I saw was a uClinux circa 2006
> at CELF, I think it might have been Grant Likely demoing it?

I have done plenty of 4MB uClinux systems over the years, from the
early 2000's onwards. And I have a habit of showing them off at
CELF events. It may have been me...

Regards
Greg

Greg Ungerer  --  Principal Engineer        EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Group, McAfee                      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888
8 Gardner Close,                            FAX:         +61 7 3891 3630
Milton, QLD, 4064, Australia                WEB: http://www.SnapGear.com